Saturday, July 3, 2010

Salwar Kameez and a Happy Sabbath

I have to confess, I'm sort of an eclectic dresser. I like to collect and wear outfits from other countries I've been to (insert my my brother's exasperated rolling of eyes here, as he comments "How are you ever going to attract a guy dressed like that?!").

Today I went to my university church (where everybody obviously never deviates from a "western style" of dress) wearing a salwar kameez and sat near the back, waiting for the Sabbath School to finish. As soon as it was over, a lady makes a beeline for me...a lady from India*!

Now for those of you that might not be aware of it, there aren't many Indians in Argentina-in fact I had never met any in Argentina before-so finding one in a small, in-the-middle-of-nowhere hometown like mine is quite a feat. She greeted me in almost flawless castillian (yes, we Argentinians speak Castillian spanish, in case you were wondering...not that we're snobs or anything lol!) with a very Argentinian kiss on the cheek, and asked me if I had come from India. I told her I had visited a little bit and enjoyed it. She was sweet, charming, and very friendly. She also told me that she never wears her Indian outfits  "as people don't really do that here". I told her that I didn't mind that much as I love my Indian outfits (they're very comfortable!) and enjoy wearing them. Now, the Adventist world (and the "Indian network" in particular) is quite "small". It turns out her sister was my parents' neighbor in the Philippines, and another relative of hers was my coworker in Thailand.

See what wearing a salwar kameez does? How else would I have found all that out and met such a sweet lady?

Namaste.

(*) Edit: I later found out she's from Sri Lanka.

4 comments:

jc said...

I like little surprises like that. :)

Desvaríos Dorisianos said...

:)

Sendy Monarrez said...

Me paso algo parecido con una falda de Tailandia y un pastor de China. Resulto que conoce a alguien que estudio en Tailandia cuando yo estaba alla :)

Desvaríos Dorisianos said...

Que bueno que te animaste a usarla! :)