Saturday, July 17, 2010

Pequeñas alegrías...

It's cold.

Minus three degrees Celsius cold.

Those of you from colder climates are probably laughing and thinking "she's got no idea what cold is!" Well, you might be right. I just spent five years in a tropical climate and developed a "thicker skin" for melting temperatures than for freezing ones!

I wake up before the sun is out, shiver to the shower, wallow in the piping-hot water (oh yeah, quick update about the gas cylinder crisis-I moved to another apartment with natural gas piped in...Hallelujah!)...well, not really wallowing...more like "hugging" the streams of steamy water appreciatively, then dress in layers (hello stockings!), put on my big, fluffy jacket, walk out the door and hear the "crunch, crunch, crunch" of the frozen grass under my boots.

The other day, as I was sitting on a wonderfully icy toilet seat, I recalled thinking, much in the same position but, in that tropical climate, on a warm toilet seat (it was 40 degrees Celsius, and the bathroom was located on the second floor, which was always very hot), "man, I wish I could sit on a cool seat". Well, wishes do come true. Icily true. Too much information? Moving on then. :)

This post was really supposed to be, like the title says, about small "happinesses" that happened to me this past week (the toilet seat just kind of crept in) and for which I am grateful:

1. Happiness is...a hot water shower! heating! cooking! (see this post to understand).

2. Happiness is...receiving a book about God's will, and sour candies (that sounds like a strange combination, come to think of it! But I love them both! :) ) from a very thoughtful far-away-friend.

3. Happiness is...walking down the street smiling to myself (alright, I'll admit to outright laughing out loud)  as I browse  a photobook sent by a collection of wonderful far-away-friends.



So, to all in heaven and on earth, a big thank you for helping make this cold week surprisingly warm.

9 comments:

jc said...

I so get the cold thing. Ahhhhh....It's such a strange and sometimes painful adjustment to return to winter after the tropics. Yeah for your new place! I'm excited to hear about your new gas heater. I'm glad we (the Settler's gang) managed to (quite accidently) work together to make your week warmer. :)

Desvaríos Dorisianos said...

Thanks, Julie! :)

Sendy Monarrez said...

I agree with the 'hot water shower' part. I've always thought that they are a blessing ;) hehe

Desvaríos Dorisianos said...

Mmhmm...a blessing indeed! I'm grateful for small blessings! :)

Marlise said...

I'm glad you got the book! I hadn't seen the cover - looks great! :-)

I don't like cold weather either - I'd rather be in hot weather. Ok, maybe the heat in Thailand is too much, but I still prefer that other than winters! (Especially since in Argentina people don't seem to like to have heaters on, so I FREEZE!)

Did I ever tell you how (when we were dating) I'd threatened Daniel that I wouldn't visit him anymore unless he had at least a tiny electric heater in his apartment?

Desvaríos Dorisianos said...

Thank you, Marlise! The book looks great!...I guess Daniel ended up buying a heater? :)

Laura said...

Glad you got the book! Now you need to blog some more. =)

Desvaríos Dorisianos said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Desvaríos Dorisianos said...

Laura, I know, right?! It´s been a month...hmm...nothing much happening, I guess. :)